Super Bowl XLIX: Rewind and Recap

As NFL playoffs are officially underway again and Super Bowl L approaches, I have found myself thinking back to the emotional roller coaster that I experienced as a die hard Pats fan last year during Super Bowl XLIX, as the New England Patriots took on the Seattle Seahawks in AZ. Actually, to be completely honest, I think about that day often (LOL)…ahhh, pure bliss. Let's recap. Want to?

With a 7-7 tied game and less than 2 minutes left on the clock before the half, Tom Brady connects a beautiful pass to Rob Gronkowski for a touchdown and it called for a huge sigh of relief as we prepared to reach halftime with a 7 point lead.

Unbelievably frustrating that the Seahawks answered that play and moved the ball down to the 11 yard line on the next drive with a finishing completed pass from Russell Wilson to Chris Matthews, putting another Seahawks touchdown on the board before halftime.

Entering the halftime show tied 14-14 was not ideal and left me in a ball of nerves. Katy Perry and left shark did there thing as I impatiently waited for the third quarter to commence.

With 8:14 left in the third, Pats down by 3, Brady throws a pass aaaand intercepted by Bobby Wagner. UGH. No. No. No. Things are not going right. Still, I had faith because Brady. Belichick. Gronk. Edelman. Vereen. Do I need to go on?

But Wilson to Doug Baldwin and it's another Seahawks touchdown. We enter the 4th quarter 24-14…down by 10?! OH MY HOLY GUACAMOLE I'M A NERVOUS WRECK THIS IS NOT A GOOD 4TH QUARTER SITUATION. Despite my understandably growing nerves not all hope was lost for previously mentioned reasons.

With Less that 8 minutes left, Brady passes to Danny Amendola to shrink the Seahawks lead. The score is 24-21. Things are happening. It's all going to be okay. Brady is going to finish this and earn ring number 4. Comeback kids baby.

Another drive and Pats move the ball down the field ending in a Brady to Julian Edelman touchdown with a little over 2 minutes left on the clock. By this point there is screaming and cheering and so much joy in my home's living room. Jumping up and down and envisioning the moment that the Patriots are crowned super bowl champs once again…this vision is real as ever at this point. We're up 28-24. Just stop the Seahawks and we win. As happy as my family and I were to have taken the lead in the final minutes of the 4th quarter, the nerves were still extremely present.

Next drive. Defense, baby! Suddenly something so terrifying happened.

Russell Wilson pulls back to make a pass. It's not great. Malcom Butler breaks up the pass that is meant for Jermaine Kearse. Incomplete! Wait.

Did he just catch that?! Yep.

Kearse somehow freaking caught it. The most freak catch and most typically unlucky thing was unfolding once again, before my eyes as I watched the Patriots play in another super bowl. Please no. My heart literally sank. You have got to be kidding me. I think this was the point at which I was kneeling in a crouched up ball on the floor holding back a few tears.

Wilson hands the ball to Marshawn Lynch and Lynch proceeds to run the ball to just shy of the goal line. The tears are coming…I feel it. Are the Patriots cursed? This cannot be happening.

2nd and goal and the last glimpse of hope I have is allowing me to watch the final play of the game.

Russell Wilson sets up and makes a pass and then one of the greatest sports moments ever unfolded before my eyes.

Malcom Butler INTERCEPTS THE PASS. AHHHH. WHAT THE ##$^#&%&&*$%^#%!$ JUST HAPPENED?!?! MALCOM INTERCEPTED.

The following moments in my household were moments of pure euphoria and elation and are a bit of a blur now. Loud screams and shouts, jumping up and down, tackling one another to the floor in joy, running through the kitchen to knock over the toaster (my brother)….I wish someone had been there to record our reaction to that moment because that would be pure entertainment, let me tell ya.

I've re-watched the super bowl and re-watched that interception so many times and it never ever gets old. What a feeling.

Yes, I'm a cocky Pats fan (for good reason, am I right?!) and have loved every moment of being Super Bowl XLIX champs. Buuut Super Bowl L is just around the corner and I think it's time for Brady's fifth ring. Playoff time, Pats.

No comments :

Post a Comment