How I Got There: Transferring and Joining a Sorority

So for today's post I'm sharing some big aspects of my college career with you: transferring and joining a sorority!

My freshman year, I was at a smaller private university in North Carolina. I always pictured myself going to a big school but after applying to this smaller college, I started to like the idea. I went to a small private high school and thought that maybe it would be a better fit for me. As it turns out, it wasn't. A lot of people love being at a smaller university and I definitely had plenty of friends and classmates at this college that were head over heels for the school. It just wasn't for me. I quickly realized (within the first semester) that I wanted to be at a big school. I wanted to be at a huge SEC school where football games were top tier and where I could join a sorority. The small university that I started at didn't have Greek life and while football was still huge, it wasn't SEC style.


I started making my plans to transfer. I decided to push through and finish my freshman year before transferring. I spent high school in Las Vegas and, after graduating, my dad got a new assignment in Delaware. My family moved that summer, so while I was in NC, they were in DE (the most random state in the world LOL). As I began to fill out transfer applications, top of my list was Auburn, University of Tennessee, and Florida State. However, my parents also convinced me to apply to the University of Delaware, just as a back-up, close-to-home option. I love my family more than anything in the world. BUT the idea of being close to home wasn't the ideal situation when I pictured college. Still, I applied.

My second semester of freshman year was difficult. I was more stressed and anxious than I've ever been before. I hate thinking about it now. Looking back, I probably gave up on that school too quick. Not that I shouldn't have transferred. I'm happy I did. But I stopped trying to make that school as fun as possible when I knew I'd be transferring. I pushed through that semester but I wish I had glided through it as though I were staying, instead. The process of transfer applications and tough decisions, while still taking a full class load was getting to me. I never let anyone around me know it, but I was stressed out and filled with anxiety.

My parents really encouraged me to consider UD. I hated the idea, to be completely honest. Delaware was such a random place. And their mascot was so strange: a blue hen? Please. I wanted to spend college in the south. I wanted ESPN college game days and warm weather. Looking back now on making that decision, it's all a bit of a blur. I had it narrowed down to Florida State and UD. UD somehow made me feel safe. It was close to home. So even if I made the wrong choice again, at least I'd have my family close by. I'm also the worst when it comes to making big decisions (sometimes even small ones LOL). Deciding on something as big as college for the second time was exhausting and draining. My dad called me when it was time that a decision needed to be made. We went over pros and cons to each school and by the end of our conversation I somehow came to this conclusion: UD. I don't really even remember how I came to this. All I know is I cried as soon as I did. It seems so silly when I think back on it now. But that's how stressed I was over it. Within the following weeks I was convinced I made the wrong choice but it was too late to back out.

The summer leading up to my first year at UD was good. I was happy to have moved on from my small NC school. I took a trip to Las Vegas to see my best friends. I spent lots of time with my family.  But the whole time, lingering in the back of my mind, I was dreading the fall. I was dreading starting at a new school, a new place again. It's funny because I've been the new kid my whole life, being a military kid. I didn't think I'd do that more than once in college. Guess I've got a gypsy soul to blame at this point.

I was terrified to start at UD and find that I made the wrong decision again. However, after starting in the fall, the University of Delaware wasn't so bad and it only grew on me over time. By the spring semester, I was really happy to have transferred to UD. (Despite their lack of top tier football)

When I started college I really wanted to be in a sorority. But my first school didn't offer Greek life so I kind of just forgot about it as an opportunity. When I transferred to UD, it was one of the things I was most excited for. I signed up for spring recruitment with hopes of finding my place on campus. However, recruitment was not for me. By the second weekend of recruitment, after long contemplation, I came to the conclusion that if I were to continue with the process, I would only be forcing it. All the sororities I visited with were great. But none of them felt like the place for me. I was super grateful to have had AMAZING rho gammas and after talking with them, I let them know that I felt it was best for me to drop out.

That was it. I figured Greek life was simply not in the cards for me. It was disappointing but not the end of the world. I knew I'd find other ways to feel involved and have fun on campus.

Little did I know that the following spring a new Panhellenic sorority would be joining UD's Greek community. I was immediately encouraged by my friends to sign up for Pi Beta Phi's recruitment. I quickly realized that this was something I would regret not doing so I signed up and went through the recruitment process.

Needless to say, from the very start I was in love with Pi Beta Phi. I was lucky enough to have my friend Erin, along side me while going through the process. After attending the first interest meeting and meeting Pi Phis from all over the country, we were so excited to continue with Pi Phi's recruitment. I even met a sweet friend of my cousins from Arkansas, who was a Pi Phi in Tennessee, at the interest meeting, which was so crazy! (Small world y'all.)

Throughout recruitment I fell more and more in love with the wonderful organization that is Pi Beta Phi. After receiving my bid to join this sorority I was ecstatic. I'm so happy to be a part of such a strong group of women on my campus, and around the country. My first semester in Pi Phi and UD's Greek community has been so rewarding. I realized that everything worked out the way it did for a reason. I didn't find my place in the other sororities for a reason. Pi Beta Phi is the place for me and I'm so happy it is!

My college experience has not been typical. Transferring was not the plan. Dropping out of recruitment was not the plan. But it all works out. UD has brought some of the most amazing friends into my life. It lead me to Pi Beta Phi and a group of amazing sisters (that I'm still getting to know and can't wait to reunite with in the Fall). It wasn't at all part of my plan, but God's plan is best after all right?!

Welp. This was incredibly long and potentially boring so congrats if you actually read all that. You rock.

Xo, Emma


PPL!!! 


7 comments :

  1. I strongly believe everything happens for a reason! So glad to hear the school and sorority worked out!

    www.rdsobsessions.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that things eventually worked out. Stay positive and enjoy life!

    annescribblesanddoodles.blogspot.com | Bloglovin' | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to know things went great for you! Have a nice week ahead
    XoXo - Vettae
    Simply Vettae | Fashion, Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and pictures. Really loved the one from the beach. x

    Have a great week,
    Andreea
    http://couturezilla.com/

    ReplyDelete