Nothing a Good Dose of Christmas Nostalgia Can't Fix

I’ve always loved a good dose of nostalgia and there’s nothing quite like the holiday season to fill my void for the stuff. Between Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the whole shebang, I always find myself getting caught up in the smells, sounds, the warm fuzzy feelings, and traditions that all come wrapped up in this season.

In my last post I shared a little about the way I grew up and all the change that has come with life as a military brat.  I’ve learned to embrace change and adapt to new settings.  In fact, I enjoy change.  But when it comes to Christmas and the holiday season, I’m all about traditions. Despite all the change and newness of moving from state to state and school to school growing up, the traditions of Christmas time are always a comforting nostalgia each November and December.  Sometimes I feel a little crazy wanting everything to be set up roughly the same way, the same decorations, the same songs playing in the background, the same cookies in the oven…but that’s the beauty of tradition right? (please just say yes and tell me I’m totally normal for this.)

I’ve always, always, always had a love and fascination with Christmas time. Something about it is magical to me.  Traditions are what help bring about those sentimental feelings that we all get this time of year and that’s what keeps the magic there. For my family and myself, the day after Thanksgiving always serves as the day to pull out all the boxes labeled “Christmas” from the garage and press play on Dad’s ultimate Christmas playlist to begin the season’s festivities.  We use generally the same decorations each year, yet opening the boxes is still, somehow, always exciting.  Pulling out the stockings, nutcrackers, and mini nativity scene…the magic of the season comes with the reminiscent joys you get as you unwrap years’ worth of traditions from their dust collecting cardboard boxes.  I love adding to our traditions with new ones, but carrying out the old ones is when the nostalgic feelings kick in and I love that.  Of course I’ll listen to the new Christmas album but I’ll always have a soft spot for Dad’s Bing Crosby Christmas classics.  And I’m always (ALWAYS) up for new Christmas cookies, but what’s Christmas without Mom’s English toffee cookies?!  I know a fake tree is reasonable for most and a lot easier to put up each year but I just HAVE to get mine at the Christmas tree farm. And I know, I know; I’m a college student. But please don’t make me stop leaving cookies and eggnog for Santa.  Remember those warm fuzzy feelings I mentioned earlier? These things definitely make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. 

It’s funny; so many people celebrate the holiday season but in so many different ways. I have my traditions, you have yours, they have theirs… But those traditions are important. The traditions are what keep that magic of Christmas there every year.  Change is good and new traditions are good. And inevitably, new traditions will come and old ones may fade.  Don’t forget about the things that give you that warm fuzzy feeling though. You know the one: the one that makes you feel all the nostalgia, brings back memories, and makes you feel good.  And if you don’t have anything that gives you those feelings, start a tradition that will because no one should miss out on good ol’ Christmas nostalgia. 

For myself, the greatest tradition of all is the simplicity of spending time with my family. With that being said I can’t wait for the new traditions that will be created and the old ones that will be carried out religiously all while spending time with loved ones this Christmas season! I’d love to know what you’re favorite holiday tradition is! Let me know in the comments!


As always, thanks for reading! Xoxo

No comments :

Post a Comment